Thursday, December 14, 2006

Kadaklakshmi - An inhuman tradition in Maharashtra

I hate that continuous sound of drum. It sends chill through my spine whenever I hear it. This is known as Kadaklakshmi, a tradition in Maharashtra. A man and a women strolls around the city begging in the name of god/goddesses [may be Kadaklakshmi is a goddess]. The women beats a kind of drum and the man, who is half naked whips his bare back. This is a inhuman tradition in Maharashtra. The man whips himself in the name of god, so hard that at times I have seen blood coming out of his back and forearm with those violent blows from that huge whip.

The sound of that drum is a peculiar one. I can identify it from a thousand sounds, it bugs my brain. I feel like thousand honeybees making that buzz sound hovering around my brain assuming my brain lobe as there beehive.

Who will STOP this tradition???

No comments: