Saturday, March 24, 2007

Soooo far...So Good. So numb...turning deaf.

So many languages colliding on the poor thin "curtain of my ear". (in marathi we call it kaanacha parda :) also known as tympanic membrane: see the diagram).
Local residents of Bangalore are referred to as Bangaloreans. While Kannadigas accounted for 38.77% of the population, sizable minorities from Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra exist. Kannada, the official language of the state of Karnataka, is widely spoken in Bangalore, as are Tamil, Telugu, Tulu, Malayalam and Hindi. Outsiders from MS, Delhi,Guj, Bengali, etc. etc.. found everywhere.
When so many languages collide on tympanic membrane, it's but natural you turn deaf to sounds.
So sick that I have started classifying abstract sounds like vehicle horns, cow's "Hummma", mixer/grindner noise, as if they belong to kannada, tamil, telugu, tulu, malayalam, hindi, marathi, bengali etc. Even when someone speaks in marathi my mothertongue.... system takes few seconds to load that decoder. The default decoder is Hindi or English. Adding to this frustation is German language. Every alternate document on my desktop is in German... which is far from reach of any present decoder. It does very good job of disturbing my visual perception of language and spellings [ thanks that I not in china... cant imagine].
Hope I turn normal soon, otherwise for the sake of "curtain of my ear" I will have to think of moving out.

No comments: